Acorn-Crusted Rabbit



I took a friend out to look for acorns yesterday.  I had a few neighborhoods in mind from which I've collected acorns in the past.  Alas, those trees didn't produce this year.  But I'm sure we made an amusing site - him driving at a snail's pace down the street, with me hanging out the passenger side, scouting the gutters and sidewalks for acorns.  At one point a cop car passed by.  My friend said to me, "He didn't seem too interested.  But if he had stopped us, I would have told him you were looking for your contact lens."  This pleased me immensely.  I consider a good cover story to be a hallmark of excellent foraging instincts.  After all, a forager must protect their best spots.

If I should happen to lay in more acorns and put away some flour, I'll be reaching for this recipe often.  Here, I used acorn flour as a simple crust on rabbit fillets.  It was rich and nutty, but the flavor didn't overtake the meat, sort of like rabbit McNuggets.  I think an acorn crust would be lovely on any mild meat, from chicken to fish.

How to Make an Acorn Crust for Rabbit

In a glass pie dish, combine acorn flour and arrowroot (or any other flour or starch) in a ratio of 5:1.  Sprinkle in seasoning of your choice.  In this case, I used onion powder, mustard powder, cayenne, paprika, and monarda (aka wild oregano).  Also add salt and pepper.  Be sure to taste a little pinch of the flour to make sure it has enough salt.

In a bowl, whisk an egg with a tablespoon of water.

Pound out rabbit fillets to 1/4" thickness.  Season on both sides with salt and pepper.  Dip the meat first into the egg wash, then in the seasoned acorn flour.

Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium.  Add enough lard to generously cover the bottom of the pan.  Fry the acorn-crusted fillets until meat is cooked through, approximately 2 minutes per side.  The acorn crust will turn a deep chocolate-brown.

I served my acorn-crusted rabbit with a sauce of lemon, butter, and capers.  But if you've got kids or picky eaters in the house, I think they'd be great served with honey mustard.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Looking for more info about how to process acorns for food, or the Wild Things foraging recipe challenge (you are invited to participate!), please follow this link.


I'm happy to share this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop, Real Food Wednesday, and Fat Tuesday.

Popular Posts