Sunflower Seed Cakes

My friend Alex, at a Moderate Life, reminded me that we can take all sorts of valuable information from relationships we've had, even the failed ones. Such is the case regarding a long-ago failed relationship that I had (if you don't know the definition of beard, then look it up and have a good chuckle at my expense). I stayed in that relationship far longer than I should have because he had a really big family, something I've always dreamed about. I particularly enjoyed spending time in the kitchen with his sisters, who taught me many of their family recipes, handed down from generation to generation, with roots reaching back in this land before it was even known as America.

I knew these gals back when I was still eyeball deep in my low-fat days, so their recipes, which didn't shy away from fat, and called heavily upon wild foods, didn't seem like something which could be an everyday part of my life. But it occurred to me recently that a lot of those recipes align very well with the way I eat today. They're mostly wheat free which is exactly what I need as a celiac. And as someone who forages, it makes perfect sense to utilize recipes from the people who walked this land before me.

And so, I'll presenting some of these recipes in the near future. I'll make no claim at authenticity, as always. The recipes are being filtered through many years and my imagination, but the spirit of them remains intact.

These sunflower seed cakes could not be simpler. They use just three ingredients, and are very economical to make. As I recall, they were served with vegetable soups, but they also make a perfect snack. For every cup of raw unsoaked sunflower seeds, you'll need a half teaspoon of maple syrup, and a heaping tablespoon of cornmeal, multiply the recipe as needed.

Soak your sunflower seeds overnight in good water and a heavy pinch of salt. Drain the water from the seeds, and place them into a food processor. Pulse the seeds, scraping down the sides, until a thick paste forms. Add the maple syrup and cornmeal, and continue to pulse until well blended. If the dough won't hold together to form a patty, then add a touch of water.

Using wet hands, form golf ball sized pieces of dough into patties, and fry over medium heat until golden on both sides. Dust with salt after you've taken them from the pan. You won't believe how well these little sun cakes hold together. I think you'll also be surprised by just how tasty and light they are - the interior, sweet and rich, and the outside fried up brown and crunchy.


I'm sharing this recipe with Pennywise Platter Thursday at the Nourishing Gourmet, and Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, Vegetarian Foodie Friday at Breastfeeding Moms Unite, and Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade. Please support other great food bloggers by checking out the link.

Popular Posts