Oyster Mushroom and Sausage Pizza with Balsamic Reduction

I don't know about your house, but pizza is always a welcome dinner here, even when I experiment with flavors. Tonight, I had a fresh flush of oyster mushrooms to utilize, and could think of nothing better to showcase their flavors than to lay them out on a bed of pizza yumminess.

This recipe is based on a pizza that my mom and I used to share on visits to a run-down mountain pizzeria. The original was made with tender bites of chicken and blue cheese instead of the sausage I've used here.

To make the balsamic reduction, place two parts balsamic vinegar and one part tomato paste in a saucepan, and simmer until it reduces to a syrupy consistency. Adjust the acidity with salt and a pinch of sugar, if necessary; it should taste sweet-tart.

Top pre-baked crust (gluten intolerant? try my chestnut flour pizza crust) with a thin layer of balsamic reduction, followed by browned italian sausage crumbles, sauteed mushroom, finely diced raw shallots, rosemary, and mozzarella cheese. Bake until cheese melts and oozes.

If you'd like to read more about our adventures in growing edible mushrooms, please see these posts - The Alien Ball, and Mushroom Cultivation.

Popular Posts